Darien Police Department
Date: March 25, 2009
Re: Darien Police Department Awarded State Accreditation
Issued by/Contact: Sgt. Jeremiah P. Marron Jr.
Public Information Officer
Phone: 203-662-5300 ext. 2618
For Immediate Release
Darien Police Department Awarded State Accreditation
The Police Officer Standards and Training Council awarded the Darien Police Department Tier I and Tier II State Accreditation on March 5, 2009. Accreditation is a lengthy process, and its attainment is a highly coveted award that demonstrates a police agency’s commitment to law enforcement excellence. By earning this award, the Darien Police Department has become the twenty-sixth Connecticut law enforcement agency to receive State Accreditation. Accreditation is awarded for a three-year period, and subsequent assessments are conducted every three years in order to maintain accredited status.
Darien Police Chief Duane Lovello said “Accreditation represents a true milestone for this Department. The countless hours spent on this project resulted in a better police agency – one well-positioned for the future. The fact that we would subject ourselves to such a degree of scrutiny illustrates our commitment to professional excellence.”
The accreditation process consists of maintaining compliance with professionally recognized law enforcement standards. There are 207 such standards in the Tier I and Tier II levels of accreditation that the department has demonstrated compliance with. The Department’s Accreditation Manager, Sergeant Jeremiah Johnson, is responsible for overseeing the accreditation process, and insuring that the department maintains compliance with all of the standards.
Benefits of Accreditation
Accreditation has several benefits, some of which are listed below:
· A reduction in liability insurance costs to the town, along with a stronger defense against lawsuits.
· Facilitation of town government awareness of how the police department is managed.
· Demonstrates the department’s professionalism, excellence and overall competence.
· Requires the development of policies and procedures designed to guide and assist officers in their daily operations.
· Assists in the development of guidelines that maximize the level of services provided to the community.
· Through reassessment, ensures that the department is audited every three years.
The next goal of the Darien Police Department is to seek accreditation from the Commission on Accreditation of Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA), which grants accreditation at the national level. According to Chief Lovello, “Professional excellence cannot exist as a single point in time. It is an ongoing process of assessment, analysis and adjustment. Much of the work already accomplished will substantially assist the department in this endeavor.”
Issued: 2000 hrs.